Saturday, April 19, 2014

FINALLY: Momiji's hat

Beautiful derp censor.
... Yeah. So, I have been working on this beautiful blue hat for this cheerful fellow:

Sohma Momiji from Fruits Basket.
I actually started working on the hat back in... summer. Why did it take me so long? Well, for the whole autumn and winter I couldn't do any progress on the hat. The reason why is that I could only work on it at Valkoinen Samurai's mum's with her very kind help and couldn't bike there in winter because of snow and temperatures like 15°C under zero. 
But I finally finished the hat on Tuesday 15th of April, and damn it took so long it's not even funny. I suck. 
Here are some progress pictures so you can see how it went.

I first looked for a close enough hat model in a sewing magazine. When I found one, I drew the pattern and cut it.


I first made a test hat out of random orange fabric that Valkoinen Samurai's mum seemingly has an overload of.

Cutting fabric pieces. I'm leaving extra space for seam allowances.
Cutting head hole in this piece.
And sewing the pieces together.
I had two pieces, one basically a circle and the other one, a donut. Otherwise your hat turns into either a donut (two pieces with a hole) or a round bun (two pieces without hole). And I wanted the hat. Heheh.

Neither a donut nor a bun. Feat. derpface.
Okay, stop fooling around now, here comes the real deal.

Found blue fabric for the hat, and black for the shorts.
Here we go again!
I was advised to use interfacing fabric to make the hat sturdier, because the orange test subject was pretty much a pancake (I have hats turning into all sorts of yummy things... hmmm... Should I go bake instead of learning to sew?). Interfacing fabric glues onto usual fabric with the heat of an iron, so here we go!

Gluing time.
When the pancake part of the hat was sturdier, I pinned it to the donut part and sewed the two together on the "wrong" side of the fabric.

Sewing in a curve is friggin' hard.
Hat flipped over to the "right" side.
Hmmm.
I still needed to add a white strip, and hide some elastic behind it so that the hat wouldn't fall off my head as soon as I nod.

White strip in place, feat. elastic.
Close-up on the elastic at the back (sewing in progress).
Aaand sewn in place.
I added another white strip higher up on the hat. You can see on the very first picture that it's thinner; it was very easy to sew in place, as I just stitched in the middle of it and boom. Beautiful explanation. 
I was helped by Valkoinen Samurai's mum all along and I owe her a big fat thank you for this! I'm pretty much a newbie in sewing although my mum taught me the basics; I just lack practice. For now I can do very little stuff, need a lot of help with the Finnish sewing machine and I'm horrible at cutting straight and sewing straight. It always looks like I'm drunk OTL
Oh well, I'll never get anywhere if I don't try, so be prepared to see more of my drunk sewing as I keep working on Momiji! I'll get this done one day!
But for now...

Tschüss! (Bye!)


2 comments:

  1. Looks good! :)
    I actually need to make similar hat to one of my next year's cosplay, so thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uuuu~ That hat is so cute! :'3

    ReplyDelete