Sunday, October 19, 2014

Kemin mangapäivä 2014 summary: bring on the Lolita army.

Hiya! :)

On Saturday 11th October was held Kemin mangapäivä (Kemi's Manga day) in, well, Kemi. It's a small event but it's seemingly getting bigger: this year it lasted 6 hours instead of the usual 4 hours! Wooohooo! Also, the location was different. This time, it was in Sauvotalo building (aka the same building as the last Kitacon). They also had a small booklet with information about the event. 


And this is what it looked like inside the building. :)

Entrance & info desk.
Artists' tables.
I stroke a chat with this awesome Discord cosplayer. :'D
Geeky stuff. :'3
And geeks themselves.
Cute handmade figurines. ^-^
Con area.
Con area again.
Now that everybody is in the con mood and curious about what happened at Manga Day, let's have a flashback to break the mood. ;) 
On Saturday morning, Shiro Samurai and I woke up early and headed for Jäätynyt Enkeli's place. I think he wasn't quite out of bed when we got there because he was still in pyjama. Sorry man, cosplay is calling. x) Anyway, the reason for this strategical move was that it was snowing on the morning (more like, this horrible mix of snow and rain) and even though there wasn't a long walk to Jäätynyt Enkeli's, it would be enough to get sweaty and all wet from the snow and humid air... so had we done our make-up home, it would have been all over the place before we even got to the con. 
By the way, Shiro Samurai would cosplay as his OC Taregard Frir and Jäätynyt Enkeli would cosplay an original casual version of Levi from Attack on Titan.
The guys' mum would pick us up and drive us to Kemi at 11:00 (Finnish time) so we had a little less than two hours to put on cosplays. So we opened our small suitcase in which we had put our cosplays and started changing.
Yeah, we need a suitcase even for a 6 hours event. Deal with it. XD
I started doing my make-up, following the suggestions I had got from Shiro Samurai on the previous day. So in the end he didn't do my make-up on the con morning but he did a make-up test on me the day before. x) My boyfriend is doing my make-up. <3
I felt like my red contacts were drying in my eyes while I was putting on make-up... ewww. But it usually happens when I mercilessly rub some white pencil just under my eyes. morning torture I messed up my eye-liner once and raged - and when I wanted to correct it before it dried, I realized that Shiro Samurai was locked in the bathroom and I had no idea where the cotton buds were. Grump. I could re-do my eye-liner though and it looked all nice in the end. :'D 
Time just flew away and suddenly it was 11:00. We went outside with our stuff. We were ready, but didn't get any extra time. I had my shoes hanging from my bag because I didn't want to wear them in the snow and rain - they're white. ;_; And I have no use for grey shoes. 

Flashback end. :'3 
We got to the con about one hour and a half after it had started... meh. But it's better than missing the whole thing, right? :) We met Sairu-chan in the cloakroom (which was cloak-free but you get the idea). She was cosplaying from Corpse Party: Tortured Souls. I don't know how she manages to be creepy and cute at the same time, but she just does. x) It felt good to see her again! <3 
We first went to check what the con had to offer in terms of geeky merchandise. There wasn't much, so it didn't take long to check everything. One of the artists had illustrations of the Colossal titan, Armored titan and Female type titan... which creeped me out. Especially the Colossal titan creeps the hell out of me. :< I have trauma from watching the first episode of SnK a while ago. The same artist had... jellyfishes. It was really funny because the previous night, Shiro Samurai and I had been talking about pretty much everything scaring us and it included the disgusting, shock-delivering jellyfishes. x) As well as giant spiders, sharks, coconuts, caves, Gollum, crazy elevators...
A small cosplay competition was held at 12:00 but we didn't stay to watch. Instead, we headed outside to photoshoot Sairu-chan's cosplay. It wasn't the warmest and my outfit is pretty damn cold so I found myself frozen in no time, and it was so bad that I was obviously shaking. OTL Sairu-chan urged me to go get a jacket and I obediently went to get mine. I came back right away to hold the umbrella over Shiro Samurai's camera in case it started snowing/raining. I am now a professional umbrella holder. Behold.

I'm freezing... but Levi is fine. x)
Better. :'3
We didn't shoot for very long because it was, well, cold. :'D It was comfy despite the weather, and we had some nice laughs too, especially when Sairu-chan's phone suddenly shouted "BALLS!". x)
Ehem. Soon enough we went back indoors and headed for one of the rooms because Shiro Samurai wanted to attend a panel. Before the panel, we had a few minutes for a food break... and the obligatory food pics.

Food time is serious.
Nom nom nom...
No pics plz. :<
Dunno why I look so "ewww" because the snack was good. x)
I had no interest in the panel since it was in Finnish, but otherwise I'd have come as well. Jäätynyt Enkeli tagged along and for a second I was scared I would be left alone, but Sairu-chan stayed with me. Thanks! ;A; <3
While the MarioKart bros were being schoolboys attending the panel, Sairu-chan and I went to a nearby store to buy something to drink. A friend of hers tagged along. I bought some lemonade that I planned on sharing with Shiro Samurai because it's one of our faves and I also got myself a bun. I'm always hungry at cons.
When we were back in the con building, I shared my bun with Sairu-chan. We saw Shiro Samurai and Jäätynyt Enkeli, but Shiro Samurai went to attend another panel right away. I stayed with the two others meanwhile and walked around and chatted. At one point a tall guy asked for my picture and then he asked me to take a pic of him. I had to ask him to talk English. </3 But he was super cool, and it's really nice to see an adult cosplaying! Well, I'm technically an adult too... What I mean is that he was a bit older than your average congoer. I'll cosplay older characters when I am old, goddammit. 
This guy joined our company and started talking with Jäätynyt Enkeli but I didn't follow because they had switched to Finnish. Sairu-chan was with some friends who talked English with me for a moment but then they also switched to Finnish. I got kinda bored, because I was alone between two groups of people speaking Finnish so I walked around, checked merchandise even though I wasn't interested because most stuff was mainstream/poor quality/bootleg. I wasn't especially interested in buying any of the artists' creations although they were cool. I'm out of cash, too. ^^; 
Eventually Shiro Samurai was done with his panel so we headed outside along with Jäätynyt Enkeli and Sairu-chan. We had set on buying some snacks from Lidl because we didn't want to eat a proper meal in Kemi, for the sake of saving cash. So we went to buy fresh bakeries and coffee for me people stared and came back to the con to eat. Shiro Samurai ran to give a quick photoshoot to this one older cosplayer whom I mentioned earlier and when he came back we went to sit at a table with our provisions. 
The con was drawing to an end so there were few people around. We ate our breads and donuts, took derp pics and chatted some more, it was really chill. After this it was time to go, so we hugged Sairu-chan goodbye, went outside and Manga Day was over. :(
I was especially sad because Sairu-chan, Jäätynyt Enkeli and Shiro Samurai will meet at Halloween and I won't be with them because I have to travel abroad so I won't see Sairu-chan in a while. :'(
Ah well, that's why you stalk one another on Blogger and Skype. :') 
Oh, I seemingly missed the Lolita fashion display that I wanted to attend most... I guess it was while we were photoshooting? Oh well, it's not too bad because I quickly saw all the Lolitas when they walked out of the building. :'3 Thanks to the fashion display and my own contribution as a creepy!Lolita, there was a small Lolita army in there.

Manga Day was comfy and chill, and I'm happy that it's getting more popular! I actually was asked three times for a pic when I thought it wouldn't even happen, yay! <3 I also had someone ask me if the blood on my cheek was a real wound. x) 
Thank you everyone for a nice time! ~
 Bye-bye!

Bonus pics! 
Because we all need them.

Captain Levi doesn't approve of my coffe. :'(
:p
Have a gif. <3


I'm outta here before Levi kicks me! :'D

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the time at mangapäivä! Oh and dat gif... I think I cracked up a bit xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too! It was comfy and funny. :)
      The gif is your payback for donut!Levi... muahahahaha. ;D

      Delete
  2. DAT LAST GIF! XDD I'm laughing here more than I should :'DDDD

    It was so nice to hang out with you! Q 3 Q <3 Thanks for your company! ;A; Until next time <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy it made you laugh, höhö. <3 Who can resist derp gifs? 8'D
      Thanks to you too! <3 I hope to see you again soon! :)

      Delete