You've probably guessed already, but this post will be about the progress I did on my Team Aqua grunt cosplay. The idea of cosplaying Team Aqua all started with... Shiro Samurai brainwashing me into it, as usual. x) We had been wondering about it for a few days : Should we or should we not? And suddenly we found the
almost perfect shoes and they were cheap! It was settled : there was no going back. After all, we had the shoes now. What you mean, we make excuses to cosplay?
|Team Aqua female grunt.|
One of the best things with this cosplay is that wig choice and make-up are completely free, since grunts have different hair cuts and faces. Yeeeehaaaah! :'D
Back in summer last year (oops, that was so long ago), Shiro Samurai and I headed to his mum's to sew. We found the perfect blue fabric for pants and scouted for a pattern. It didn't take too long and soon came the time for fabric cutting! We kept in mind that we needed extra fabric for the bandanas.
And so the measuring began. At first it was just like usual and little by little, panic came. We just might not have enough fabric for such wide pants! None of us wanted tighter pants that would fit on our legs like a sausage's skin... Shiro Samurai's mum helped us and after careful measuring and using all the fabric, we made it! <3 We were close to the sausage skin pants though.
|Pieces cut out. The bandana-to-be is on top.|
We came back soon enough though and started sewing. First came the pants and then the bandanas. ~
The pants were really easy to do but I still managed to screw up in the end so I had to cut some fabric and re-do the hem because it was fugly.
|Pants in progress, before sewing the waist and hem. |
They look super-size. :c
And my pants were done! The sewing part at least.
Painting time! First we cut out the pattern for the Team Aqua symbol and pinned it on the bandana. We were careful to mark the middle well so that it wouldn't be off-center.
|Drawing the pattern on the fabric.|
One thing though: the paint we used was actually the wrong type because it was meant for light fabrics and our bandanas were dark. It took forever and many more layers of paint than it should have taken. :C The paint just became half-transparent as soon as it dried, ffffffuuuuuu.
Later on, we came back to Shiro Samurai's mum. We looked for black and white fabrics but strangely enough, we couldn't find any black fabric that would work! We had decided to cut out the stripes for the T-shirt and sew them together instead of painting them. Painting would probably use up way too much paint! So stripes it was.
Cutting out stripes from the pattern was horrible. We got impossible angles, impossible pattern shape to pin on the fabric and to top it all, we were in a hurry. I felt like I didn't know what I was doing and being in a hurry just made my whole work shitty. I can't work under pressure, simple as that. On the moment I wanted to think that I had done pretty well but I didn't know yet how mistaken I was.
|Pieces cut out.|
|Pinning pieces together to sew them.|
And them it was time for the
scary as f*ck overlocking.
|Careful now... careful now!|
|Is it alive? :c|
I stayed a long time without progress (several months) and just feeling so bad about it. Eventually I found courage to ask Shiro Samurai's mum if she could help me with this mess. She could, but I had screwed up indeed.
She just fixed the f*ck-up for me and I have pretty much no idea how she did. ._.
After this it was time to
|Sleeve stripes sewn together.|
|Sewing to the body.|
|Can you see this?|
|Yeah... THIS. WRONG SIDE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!|
I swear that no matter how careful I am, it always happens to me. I just can't make sense out of the pieces and where they go and which way...
|Yeah, no comment.|
|"Just sew straight here."|
Amazing! Just a straight sew had fixed the retarded floppiness!
|This time we're done. :<|
The rest of the progress was done even later - in 2015. I feel pretty ashamed about such delay, but I started a course and my free time shrank like hell. At least the course is worth it, hoho. ~
Finally I got some time to go and paint my pants. I did this at Jäätynyt Enkeli's place because it's much more roomy. First, Shiro Samurai and I drew the pattern on the pants. It was tedious, it killed our backs and the ring that was on the elastic waist was pure hell. TT^TT
|Ring pattern drawn on paper. |
Later on, Shiro Samurai came to check on my work (I was painting the second leg) and noticed that I was painting in a very different way than he was. He showed me how he did it and I tried using the same technique. At first it felt hard and unnatural but I eventually got a hang of it - and it suddenly became much easier! With the right technique, it went fast and it was actually enjoyable! Note to self: it's better when someone actually tells you and shows you how it's done.
I had a moment of panic when my brush rolled out of my hand and I got some stains on my pants. I'll try to wash them but on the moment I didn't have anything. Oh well, in the worst case I will have to remember to only show one leg on pics and pose always turned the same way. XD
Now we'll remember to always be careful about the type of paint and the type/color of fabric.
Once my pants were painted I waited a couple of days to be sure that they were completely dry. Then, I flipped them inside-out and ironed them on the "wrong" side to fix the paint. Shiro Samurai was a nice guy and ironed my
And this concludes my progress post! Now I just need sunglasses, a Pokéball and let's sail! :'D
Thanks for reading, people! <3 Bye-bye!